Saturday, June 4, 2011

What's the Bizness, Yeah!

I went to see Yeasayer at The Fillmore a couple Fridays ago with some friends.  Overall, it was a great show.  The Smith Westerns were one of the opening bands.  They're basically a bunch of 20-year-old kids from Chicago who just released their second album, Dye It Blonde.  I highly recommend giving it a listen, as it is probably one of the better albums of 2011 thus far.

Anyways, like I said, the show was great.  Smith Westerns were good, Yeasayer was awesome, AND we got a free Fillmore poster (my collection is at 4 now!).


However, what I really wanted to talk about was the opening act.  It was one dude with basically an iPod and a microphone named Hush Hush.  He used the iPod to play what sounded like some pretty awesome beats.  However, once he started singing, things quickly went from potentially awesome to (not so) borderline inappropriate.  For example, check out this song.

I read one account of a guy who saw Hush Hush perform a few nights before we did, and he described the experience as, "Never in my life have I been so fascinated and felt so violated at the same time."  Yup, that pretty much sums it up.  It's almost disappointing because a lot of his songs have a pretty solid musical sound and are then tainted once the lyrics start.  Although, I get the feeling that's kind of the point with this guy.

Here is another nugget for your viewing pleasure.

Finally, you may have noticed the title of this post may seem a bit weird or not make much sense relative to the rest.  I've basically decided that some of my post titles will contain lyrics / lines / phrases / excerpts from various songs that are stuck in my head that day.  Today, "Bizness" by TuNe-YarDs is the lucky winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment